Monday, April 30, 2018

Blog Post #11: Bridge To The Present

Blog Post #11: Bridge To The Present

A Written Response By Lily Jeffs

1. What did you find interesting about the history of the Sisters of Notre Dame?

After being taught about the Sisters of Notre Dame, I learned many different interesting things related to their mission, history, and contributions to society. Specifically, I found it interesting that the Sisters of Notre Dame first began their journey of spreading Catholicism in Europe. Because of how influential their work was, they were later able to introduce Catholicism to those living in North America. I also found it interesting that the Sisters of Notre Dame worked directly with children that attracted many women to join them soon after. Because the Sisters of Notre Dame worked hard to try and bring new people to follow the Catholic faith, they were eventually able to establish Catholic schools, including NDB. I found it fascinating that without the Sisters of Notre Dame, I wouldn't be able to attend NDB and grow as a student both academically as well as spiritually. I ultimately really enjoyed learning more about the Sisters of Notre Dame and connecting this to high school, and am interested in discovering more about the history of our school in the near future. To illustrate this, an image is shown below of a member of the Sisters of Notre Dame assisting a female student with her work, similarly to how teachers in the modern era at NDB help their own students.


                                      ("ND Sisters of Notre Dame De Namur Office 1968") 

2. What is something that you heard from the Alumnae Panel that stuck with you and why?

There were many different things that I heard from the Alumnae Panel which stuck with me. Specifically, one part of the Alumnae Panel where each of the alumnae talked about them wishing they took part in more high school activities such as going to dances or football games related to myself. As a sophomore, I haven't ever attended a Notre Dame dance or other school activities, because either I don't feel excited to take part or none of my friends want to go with me. After hearing about how the alumnae regretted not being very involved with school activities, I now want to start going to more so I can meet new people and try something new. The Alumnae Panel ultimately taught me that I should always try something new in high school, and I should enjoy it while it lasts. They also taught me that I need to live in the moment and always acknowledge everything that I am being taught at NDB, because all of this will later benefit me once I am an adult. To illustrate this, an image is shown below of a cycle that relates to the Alumnae sharing what high school was like for them with us, in which as they spoke with us, we were able to learn more about themselves and school while also relating this to our own experiences.
("Mind Learning")

3. What does it mean to you to be a part of the Notre Dame Community?

Being a part of the Notre Dame Community allows me to grow closely with both my peers, teachers, and with my own faith. After becoming a student at NDB, I immediately felt supported, especially if I was feeling upset or stressed in school. As a current sophomore, the Notre Dame Community has helped me immensely with teaching me new, rigorous concepts, and growing me as a student and athlete. The Notre Dame Community has also introduced me to new people, including many that are currently my friends. Without the Notre Dame Community, I wouldn't enjoy high school as much and I wouldn't be able to perform well academically. It is ultimately a great privilege to attend NDB and to be a part of the Notre Dame Community. When the incoming freshmen begin high school next year, I want to help them transition into high school, similarly to how last year's seniors did with my freshmen class. To illustrate this, an image of two people shaking hands is shown that symbolizes how the Notre Dame Community works together to welcome everyone and establish unity within the school.

                                                                 ("Shaking Hands")


4. When you leave Notre Dame High School, what do you think are some values that will stay with you?

When I graduate from Notre Dame High School, there will be many different values that will stay with me as a continue to grow academically and into an adult. A specific value that will stay with me, is to always put all of my effort into my work. I also learned that I should always strive for the best, and never give up when wanting to reach my goals. Another moral that I will continue building upon after I leave NDB, is that everything happens for a reason. If something doesn't happen in the way that I would like it to, then I tell myself that something even better will happen in the near future to make up for this. One value from NDB that was incorporated throughout all four years of high school and relates to the theme of community, is to always know that there will always be people who love and support me, and that I will always be able to turn to them when I am having trouble in life. I ultimately learned many important morals so far as a sophomore at Notre Dame High School which I hope to increase and bring these with me once I graduate and continue working to accomplish my goals. To illustrate this, an image of my friends and I at Aquacades is shown below, in which all of us have learned similar values that we have been taught at NDB, and work hard to attain these as we continue high school.

(Image Owned By Me)



Works Cited

PatricksMercy. "ND Sisters of Notre Dame De Namur Office 1968." Flickr, Yahoo!, 17 Oct. 2014, 
             
               www.flickr.com/photos/65359853@N00/15366146159.

"Shaking Hands." Hawkesprojects.com, 8 Aug. 2015, hawkesprojects.com/shaking-hands-2/.

"Mind Learning." Benjamin Degen, benjamindegen.com/index.php/site/news/.

All other images are owned by me



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post #12: Church in the Present

Blog Post #12: Church in the Present A Written Response By Lily Jeffs 1. W hat were some of the main points in Thomas Groome’s book...